Sunday, April 8, 2018

Waiting

I got up when the alarm went off at 5:30am yesterday morning (yes, a Saturday!).  I did my regular routine, and read the passage for the day.  Then, I got super sleepy.  So, I napped on the couch and didn't complete my study.  Throughout the day I thought about the verse I read.  That prepared me for for today. 

This morning I again got up at 5:30 when the alarm went off and went about my regular routine.  God showed me some amazing things throughout my study.

John 6:14-20

14 When the people saw him do this miraculous sign, they exclaimed, “Surely, he is the Prophet we have been expecting!” 15 When Jesus saw that they were ready to force him to be their king, he slipped away into the hills by himself.  16 That evening Jesus’ disciples went down to the shore to wait for him. 17 But as darkness fell and Jesus still hadn’t come back, they got into the boat and headed across the lake toward Capernaum. 18 Soon a gale swept down upon them, and the sea grew very rough. 19 They had rowed three or four miles when suddenly they saw Jesus walking on the water toward the boat. They were terrified, 20 but he called out to them, “Don’t be afraid. I am here!” 


2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- After Jesus performed a miracle, the people were ready to force Him to be their King.
- Jesus had to wait.  He knew it wasn't His time and He left the crowd.
- Jesus went into the hills to be alone.
- The disciples went to the shore and waited for Jesus.
- As it got dark, and Jesus had not returned, they got in the boat and headed across the lake.
- A storm started.
- As they were rowing, the disciples saw Jesus walking on the water.
- They were terrified. Again!  (See this post)
- Jesus said, "Don't be afraid.  I'm here!"


3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) The people were ready to name Jesus King.  Jesus knew it wasn't His time.  He wasn't influenced by what the crowd wanted.  It would have been an ego boost and made Him feel good, but He knew the will of the Father.  He knew it wasn't yet God's time.
ii) When the crowd was pressuring Jesus, He left them to spend time alone.
iii) The disciples stopped waiting for Jesus - what could possibly have been more important?
iv) As the disciples rowed, a storm started.  They saw Jesus walking on the water, but didn't recognize Him.  They were terrified... again!
v) Jesus didn't calm the storm - He calmed their hearts.  He said, "Don't be afraid.  I am here!"


4. Pose the question:

- When people are influencing me to take on positions I am not ready for, and I believe it is not God's timing, do I have the courage to say no and walk away?  Or, do I say yes just to please them?
- After I do something that displays my God-given gifts/talents/abilities, and people keep complimenting me telling me I should use those gifts more, am I able to walk away and not allow my ego to take over?
- Do I take time for myself when I need it?  If the Son of God needed alone time, there's nothing wrong with me needing some!
- Are there times I've stopped waiting for Jesus and went ahead without Him?
- When situations start to get dark, do I try to fix it myself instead of continuing to wait for Jesus?
- When it gets dark, is that really the best time for me to move forward without Jesus?
- How often in my life has a storm started because I stopped waiting for Jesus and started taking matters into my own hands?
- The disciples found themselves in this situation only a short time before this, yet they were still terrified and didn't recognize Jesus.  Have I been in situations where I've ben afraid, and Jesus revealed Himself to me an helped me, but then respond in the same way when I find myself in a similar situation?
- Do I recognize Jesus in my storms?


5. Plan obedience and pin down the date:

- Take time away instead of appeasing people and doing what they want, even if it's a status position such as leadership.
- Keep waiting for Jesus - His timing is perfect!
- Spend time with Jesus - that's the best way to recognize Him!


6. Pray:

God, thank You for for teaching me.  Help me to say no to the crowd and those asking/forcing me to do something, and to take time away to reflect, process, and talk to You.  Give me patience to keep waiting for You because Your timing is perfect.  Help me not to move without You.  Thank You for being with me so I don't have to fear.  In Your Name, Amen.

Song:

The Lord Our God


No comments:

Post a Comment