Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Fear Prison

This morning marks Day 28 of not pushing snooze!  I never thought this would be possible for me.  I am so thankful for the challenge that went out and that God chose snoozing for me to work on.  It has changed my life!

Acts 5: 17-20

17 The high priest and his officials, who were Sadducees, were filled with jealousy.18 They arrested the apostles and put them in the public jail. 19 But an angel of the Lord came at night, opened the gates of the jail, and brought them out. Then he told them, 20 “Go to the Temple and give the people this message of life!”
21 So at daybreak the apostles entered the Temple, as they were told, and immediately began teaching.

2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- The apostles had been healing the sick.  People from the villages around Jerusalem brought their sick and possessed to be healed.
- The high priest and officials were jealous.
- Out of that jealousy, the arrested the apostles and put them in jail.
- An Angel came and opened the gates of the jail and let them out.
- The Angel gave instructions: "Go to the temple and give the people this message of life!"
- At daybreak, the apostles entered the temple and immediately began teaching.


3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) When you do exciting things for Jesus, some people won't like it.  When you speak up for Jesus, people will try to shut you down.  Not everyone is going to like what you're doing or saying - especially those in authority.
ii) God will provide a way of escape.
iii) Keep doing what you are called to do, regardless of how people respond to you.  If they are angry or jealous, that is their issue.  Keep doing what God wants you to do.
iv) As Christians, we are all called to share the message of life!


4. Pose the question:

- Is fear holding me in a metaphorical jail cell?
- God sent Jesus to pull me out of Fear Prison - have I walked out with Him?  Am I saying and doing what He's chosen me to?
- Do I back down at the first sign of opposition?
- Do I put m myself in prison and stop talking about God when other people don't like what I'm saying?


5. Plan obedience and pin down the date:

- Get out of Fear Prison!
- Don't go back there!
- When there's opposition, stand my ground.  I don't have to back down!
- My opinion and beliefs are equally valid to anyone else's!
- Regardless of what people way, I must do an say what God has chosen me to do and say!


6.  Pray:

God, please help me to stop retreating into Fear Prison.  Oftentimes, I don't wait for others to shut me up, I shut myself up and imprison myself instead of standing my ground and standing up for You. I am sorry I retreat so easily.  I need Your courage and boldness to do what You've chosen for me.  Amen.

Song:

Fear is a Liar



No comments:

Post a Comment