Friday, April 13, 2018

Power > Fear

2 Timothy 1:6-7

This is why I remind you to fan into flames the spiritual gift God gave you when I laid my hands on you. For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline.


2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- Use, ignite, make bigger, allow the Holy Spirit to blow on, your spiritual gifts
- Paul laid hands on Timothy and he received his gifts from God
- God did not give us a spirit of fear and timidity ("lacking in self-assurance, courage, or bravery; easily alarmed" Dictionary app)
- God gave us a spirit of power, love, and self-discipline


3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) The more we use the gifts God have us, the bigger it will grow.
ii) God gave every one a gift - we are all different and unique - we all have different gifts.
iii) Only God can give us gifts.
iv) If God didn't give us a spirit of fear, who did?
v) God gave us the power to use the gifts He gave us.
vi) What God gave us to use, He also gave us the power to use.
vii) We already have the power - we need to choose self-discipline and utilize it.

*** Spirit of Fear (not from God)     CONFLICT     Spirit of Power (from God)


4. Pose the question:

- Do I allow the spirit of fear to trump the spirit of power?
- If yes, why?
- Do I allow my feelings of fear and timidity stop me from using the gifts God gave me?
- What are my gifts?
- Do I use the power, love, and self-discipline God gave me to fan into flames the gifts He gave me?


5.  Plan obedience and pin down the date:

- When I feel fear and timidity, I need to intentionally choose power instead.

** God's power in me > my fear

- I have already figured out my spiritual gifts - start identifying myself that way!  The gifts God gave me are a part of my identity in Him.
- My name is Paula.  I have the gift of faith and I am en encourager.


6. Pray:

God, You are faithful to show me exactly what I need.   Thank You for the gifts You've given me.  Help me to use the power You've given me to overcome the fear others have given me.  In Jesus Name, Amen.


Songs:

Who I Am - Blanca
God Has Not Given Us a Spirit of Fear



No comments:

Post a Comment