Monday, April 2, 2018

Day 19 - Isaiah

The alarm went off at 6 this morning.  I put the coffee on and showered, and didn't check any social media sites.  I started doing Bible study and I got really sleepy, so I dozed off for about 20 minutes.  I woke up feeling refreshed and got back into my lessons on fear.

Proverbs 29:25

Fearing people is a dangerous trap,
    but trusting the Lord means safety.

Isaiah 8: 11-15

11 The Lord has given me a strong warning not to think like everyone else does. He said,
12 “Don’t call everything a conspiracy, like they do,
    and don’t live in dread of what frightens them.
13 Make the Lord of Heaven’s Armies holy in your life.
    He is the one you should fear.
He is the one who should make you tremble.
14     He will keep you safe.
But to Israel and Judah
    he will be a stone that makes people stumble,
    a rock that makes them fall.
And for the people of Jerusalem
    he will be a trap and a snare.
15 Many will stumble and fall,
    never to rise again.
    They will be snared and captured.”

2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

Fear of People = Danger
Trust in God = Safety

- Don't think like everyone else
- What the world may find fearful, I don't have to because God, the Maker of the universe, is with me
- Make God holy (set apart) in my life
- God is the only one I need to fear
- I fear God and He protects me

3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) If I want to live in safety, I must trust in God and stop fearing man.  I don't know why that is so hard for me to do.  I trust that God will provide - He always has - but perhaps I don't trust His protection when I am in situations where people can hurt me.  I've been hurt a lot in my life - I didn't have the power to defend and protect myself.  If God didn't save me from being hurt in those times, it's no wonder I am afraid of people - I don't want to be hurt again.
ii) God did keep me from being hurt more than I was.  He helped me get through the tough times.  He even made me stronger because of it.  Now He wants to use those hurts to help others.
iii) The only one I need to fear is God - He holds the world in His hands.  He promises to keep me safe - by His definition, not mine.

"Fear is a powerful enemy of out faith and a strong deterrent to the believer's peace of mind." (Study Bible notes)

4. Poes the question:

- Is my fear of people bigger than my trust in God?
- Is my fear of people bigger than my fear of God?
- Hebrews says. "The Lord is my Helper, I don't need to fear.  What can man do to me?"  Do I believe that?
- What needs to happen for me to stop being afraid of people and start trusting God?

5. Plan obedience and pin down the date:

- I will give God the opportunity to prove His protection.  I need to speak up when I know I should instead of sitting quietly by.  I need to take risks and trust God to protect me.  I need to do what He's chosen me to do because He is with me.
- My fear of not doing what God chose me to do needs to be bigger than my fear of what man can do to me when I'm walking in my calling.
- God called me.  God is equipping me.  God will protect me.  God is trustworthy.

6. Pray:

God, help me not to be afraid of people hurting me.  You chose me - give me the courage to walk that out.  Help me shift my fear from people to You.  You love me unconditionally and want the best for me.  I will trust You. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment