Thursday, March 29, 2018

Day 15 - Jonathan

5:30am was the time the alarm began beeping this morning.  I have to be at an appointment at 8am, so I needed extra time.  I don't want to miss out on having time for Bible Study!

1 Samuel 14:6

“Let’s go across to the outpost of those pagans,” Jonathan said to his armor bearer. “Perhaps the Lord will help us, for nothing can hinder the Lord. He can win a battle whether he has many warriors or only a few!”

2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- Jonathan and the armour bearer are headed to the Philistine outpost - there was a rocky cliff on each side.
- Jonathan chose to lead them into the again land.
- Jonathan believed in the faithfulness of God, regardless of his situation.
- "Nothing can hinder the Lord."

3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) Jonathan stepped out on his own; he didn't ask anyone for guidance.  He thought his father would try to stop him.
ii) Jonathan chose to go through pagan land - he didn't take the safe choice.
iii) Jonathan knew God would be with him no matter which way he chose to go.  
iv) Jonathan chose not to fear.
v) "Nothing can hinder the Lord.  He can win a battle whether He has many warriors or only a few."
vi) God is not intimidated by the size of the enemy or the complexity of the problem.  He always has enough resources.

4. Pose the question:

- How is my decision making?
- Do I make the easy, safe choice or do I choose pagan land knowing that God is with me?
- Do I choose the safe was due to fear of the size of the enemy or the complexity of the problem?
- When was the last time I made a decision that was not the 'safe choice'?

5. Plan obedience and pin down the date:

- I will be more intentional about decision making.  Even if I'm afraid, I know God's Got This, and I can make the choice I want to make and not just because it's safe.  
- I will choose what I want and not just agree to make someone else happy or to keep them from getting angry.
- I will take action action, for nothing can hinder the Lord. 
- I can make decisions on my own and do what I think is right for me.
- I don't have to get other people's opinion - however, wise counsel is wise! - and I can move in the direction I want to go.

6. Pray:

God, I know You are with me.  Help me make good decisions for my life without needing approval from others.  I trust You to be with me even when I'm afraid.  Nothing hinders You. Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment