Friday, March 30, 2018

Day 16 - Eleazar

Another 5:30am morning.  My daughter and I are volunteering at the early Good Friday service, and I have grown to love my early Bible study time so I needed to get up earlier to get in my study.  I would rather sacrifice sleep than Bible study.  I have never said that before in my life!

1 Chronicles 11: 12-14

12 Next in rank among the Three was Eleazar son of Dodai,[d] a descendant of Ahoah. 13 He was with David when the Philistines gathered for battle at Pas-dammim and attacked the Israelites in a field full of barley. The Israelite army fled,14 but Eleazar and David[e] held their ground in the middle of the field and beat back the Philistines. So the Lord saved them by giving them a great victory.


2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- Eleazar was the 2nd of David's mightiest warriors
- During on e battle against the Philistines, the Israelites fled - all except Eleazar and David
- Eleazar and David held their ground - they didn't run from the Philistine army
- Because they help their ground and didn't run in fear, the Lord saved them and gave them a great victory

3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) Even if all those around me are running away from the battle, I can stand my ground.
ii) I don't have to do what the crowd is doing.
iii) I am stronger if I have even 1 friend to stick around and fight with me.
iv) Because Eleazar and David held their ground and fought back (regardless of how they may have felt, and regardless of all their friends running away) the Lord saved them and gave them a great victory.
v) They would not have received the great victory if they would have run away - they had to fight for it.
vi) Fear doesn't have to stop me from taking a stand for God and standing my ground.
vii) If I am grounded, victory will come when I hold that ground.

4. Pose the question:

- Do I have at least one person left standing beside me when everyone else runs away?
- Am I left standing up for God when others take off?  Or, do I follow the crows and leave with them?
- What am I facing right now that I want to run from ?
- Do I believe that if I stand my ground, in spite of fear, and fight the battle that God will give me victory?
- How am I doing with facing my fears head on?

5. Plan obedience and pin down that date:

- I will stand my ground, and stand for God, regardless of what others around me are doing.
- I will not retreat!
- I will face my fears with God, head on!
- Find someone who will stand with me - supporting and encouraging me, holding my hand to the end.

6. Pray:

Thank You, God, for this lesson.  I find it easy to regrets and not keep fighting.  I do it all the time.  Give me strength, faith, and a friend to keep fighting.  When I stand for You, and not back down, victory is mine.  Amen!

Song:

Victory Shall Be Mine - The Hoppers


No comments:

Post a Comment