Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Day 14 - Gideon

Day 14!!  Wow!! I didn't know my body could function without snoozing, and here I am after 2 weeks of no snoozes, and my body is doing just fine!  I am not more tired during the day, which I thought I would be with less sleep.  It's pretty amazing!

Judges 7:9-15

That night the Lord said, “Get up! Go down into the Midianite camp, for I have given you victory over them!10 But if you are afraid to attack, go down to the camp with your servant Purah.11 Listen to what the Midianites are saying, and you will be greatly encouraged. Then you will be eager to attack.”
So Gideon took Purah and went down to the edge of the enemy camp. 12 The armies of Midian, Amalek, and the people of the east had settled in the valley like a swarm of locusts. Their camels were like grains of sand on the seashore—too many to count! 13 Gideon crept up just as a man was telling his companion about a dream. The man said, “I had this dream, and in my dream a loaf of barley bread came tumbling down into the Midianite camp. It hit a tent, turned it over, and knocked it flat!”
14 His companion answered, “Your dream can mean only one thing—God has given Gideon son of Joash, the Israelite, victory over Midian and all its allies!”
15 When Gideon heard the dream and its interpretation, he bowed in worship before the Lord.[b] Then he returned to the Israelite camp and shouted, “Get up! For the Lord has given you victory over the Midianite hordes!”


2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- God gave Gideon victory over the Midianites.
- God acknowledged Gideon's feeling of fear and gave him a way to overcome it.
- Gideon followed God's prompting - a sneak peek - to help him overcome his fear.
- God helped Gideon overcome his fear - God didn't excuse Gideon from what He told him to do.
- The sneak peek - the option God gave Gideon that would overcome his fear - gave Gideon that courage he needed to get the victory God promised him.
- Gideon thanked God!

3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) God cares about our fears - and all our feelings - and provides a way to overcome them.
ii) God didn't force Gideon to take the sneak peek, but rather gave him the option.
iii) Having fear doesn't excuse us from doing what God asks us to do.
iv) God can use your enemies to encourage you - even if they don't know it.
v) Knowledge can dissipate fear.
vi) Always be thankful.

4. Pose the question:

- God told me to do something and I am afraid to do it.  Is He providing a sneak peek for me, where I can obtain knowledge, overcome my fear, and make me "eager to attack"??
- Do I follow God's suggestions?
- Do I thank God for what He provides?

5. Plan obedience and pin down the date:

- Keep my eyes and ears open! God can even use my enemies to give me knowledge that will ease my fear and give me courage to attack!
- Thank God all the time!

6. Pray:

God, thank You for caring about my fears and my feelings.  Thank You for providing ways for me to obtain the knowledge I need to overcome my fears and be eager to attack the calling You've given me and the dreams and desires in my heart.  Open my eyes and ears so I can hear from You.  Help me to obey You - even Your suggestions.  In Jesus' Name, Amen.


No comments:

Post a Comment