Friday, March 23, 2018

Day 9 - The Israelites

This was the roughest morning yet.  I sat on my prayer mat for 10 minutes just trying to come to my senses.  When I finally got up off the floor and walked out my bedroom door, I realized I left my slippers in my room.  So I go back in and sit on my bed to put my slippers on.  My nice, warm bed.  Calling out my name.  What if I just lay down for a minute? In my mind, I was already laying down and curled up with my blankets.  I knew if I laid down, I would have no control over when I would wake up.  And, that would be a big problem.  I put on my slippers, walked out the door, and left the comforts of my addiction behind me. 

I'd like to say that after making coffee and sitting on the couch the tiredness had dissipated, but that was not the case.  I was just so tired.  I could not keep my eyes open... and, I did the head bob.  I dozed off a couple of times while sitting up on the couch.  I desperately wanted to read my passage for the day, but my body would have none of it. 

Finally the coffee was done.  (Why it takes 30 minutes to percolate 8 cups is beyond me.  Maybe time for a new one? Or, maybe just time to de-scale.)  I poured myself a large mug of coffee, curled up on the couch, and talked to God while I enjoyed the first few sips.  A half a mug later, I was finally awake enough to begin my study.

Exodus 14: 10-14

10 As Pharaoh approached, the people of Israel looked up and panicked when they saw the Egyptians overtaking them. They cried out to the Lord, 11 and they said to Moses, “Why did you bring us out here to die in the wilderness? Weren’t there enough graves for us in Egypt? What have you done to us? Why did you make us leave Egypt? 12 Didn’t we tell you this would happen while we were still in Egypt? We said, ‘Leave us alone! Let us be slaves to the Egyptians. It’s better to be a slave in Egypt than a corpse in the wilderness!’”
13 But Moses told the people, “Don’t be afraid. Just stand still and watch the Lordrescue you today. The Egyptians you see today will never be seen again. 14 The Lord himself will fight for you. Just stay calm.”

2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- Pharaoh approached and the Israelites panicked when they saw the Egyptians were overtaking them
- The Israelites cried out to the Lord, then addressed Moses
- They took the "I told you so" approach
- Moses told them to not be afraid
- The enemy will attack.  Just stay calm.

3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) When I am afraid, when the enemy attacks, I can, I must, cry out to the Lord first.  Then, talk to a leader, and allow the leader to respond.
      - a leader reassures the people and, most importantly, points them back to God.

ii) When I see the enemy/trouble coming:
      a) Cry out to God
      b) Reach out to the Leader
      c) Listen to the Leader
      d) Return to God

iii) How to not be afraid:
      a) Stand still
      b) Watch the Lord
      c) Stay calm

iv) In the words of my friend, Wendy, "God's got this!"

4. Pose the question:

- When I see the enemy coming, is my response to cry out to the Lord?  Or, do I complain to someone else and blame it on others?
- What stops me from going to God first?
- What stops me from addressing my concerns with a leader when I see/feel the group may have trouble coming?

5. Plan obedience and pin down the date:

- When I see an attach coming, I must go to God first.  If it's in my personal life, I can then reach out to someone I trust who I know will point me back to God.
- If I see a problem at work or in a group I'm a part of, I will go to God first, then talk to a leader.

- When I'm afraid, and I reached out to God and another person, then I will:
      a) Stand still
      b) Watch the Lord rescue me
      c) Trust God to fight for me
      d) Stay calm

6. Pray:

God, thank You for this practical lesson.  Help me go to You first and foremost.  You know the situation better than anyone.  You see the enemy coming and You already have a plan.  You see the trouble coming, and You are ready to fight for me.  I don't have to fight.  You are my Protector and Defender.  As I keep my trust in You, and allow You to lead, I don't have to be afraid. You've got this! You've got all of this!  Thank You, God!  Amen!



1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your reflections. What great reminders!
    He's got this :D

    ReplyDelete