Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Day 3 - Abraham & Sarah Part 1

I awake to the sun shining in my room.  I am a little disoriented and I begin to wonder why I woke up before my alarm went off.  And, why it was light in  my room.  I look at the clock... 7:24.  Crap!  I slept through my alarm!  I was supposed to leave my house by 8am that morning, so I knew spending an hour doing Bible Study was not an option.  I felt very disappointed that I didn't have time to do what I had already begun to enjoy so much.  I didn't go back to sleep (hence, not snoozing) so I don't call that a break in my fast.  

When I got home from the scheduled outing, I took some time throughout the afternoon to do some study.  

Genesis 21: 1-7

The Lord kept his word and did for Sarah exactly what he had promised.She became pregnant, and she gave birth to a son for Abraham in his old age. This happened at just the time God had said it would. And Abraham named their son Isaac. Eight days after Isaac was born, Abraham circumcised him as God had commanded. Abraham was 100 years old when Isaac was born.
And Sarah declared, “God has brought me laughter.[a] All who hear about this will laugh with me. Who would have said to Abraham that Sarah would nurse a baby? Yet I have given Abraham a son in his old age!”


2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- God kept His word and gave Sarah a son - even thought Abraham went about things his own way and had a baby with Hagar.
- Abraham doubt and tried things his way.
- Sarah laughed when she was told she would have a son (Genesis 18:12).
- Because Sarah doubted God's promise, she forfeited peace - the peace she could have had throughout her pregnancy.
- Sarah was afraid to believe it just in case it didn't happen.  She told no one.  She laughed about it instead of believing in faith.

** Doubt in what God said (His promise) caused her to be afraid to believe it could and would happen.

** Sarah doubted God's plans for her future.


That's as far as I got on this day.  I had a full day of activities planned.  I did not want a repeat of that morning to ever happen again, so that night before getting into bed, I moved my digital, plug in alarm clock over beside my phone and prayer mat.  I needed to make sure I wasn't going to miss my morning Bible study any more!

No comments:

Post a Comment