Wednesday, March 21, 2018

Day 1 - Abram

While the coffee percolated, I sat on the couch and pondered how I would begin this  journey into studying the Bible.  Would I do the "let-the-Bible-fall-open-and-point-to-a-verse" method?  Would I choose a book of the Bible and go through it beginning to end?  Would I choose a different topic every day? I thumbed through the concordance of my favourite study Bible - one I got for Christmas about 10 years ago.  When I got to the topical section, I saw the title "fear" and stopped there.

Fear is something that I have been struggling with for some time now, and I knew this is where God wanted me to start.  So, I went to the first passage listed - Genesis 15:1-8.  Then I had to decide how I was going to study it.  I have friends who "SOAP" (Scripture, Observation, Application, Prayer),  which I considered doing.  I Googled "how to study the Bible" and you can imagine how many results showed up. Then I remembered a Priscilla Shier Simulcast I attended back in the Spring of 2016.  She has a method called "5 p's of Bible Study."  I went searching through my room to find the booklet that accompanied the Simulcast, and, there it was.  I opened it up, excited to see if this was the method I would use to start this new journey.  Then I went back to Bible and started applying it...

Genesis 15:1-8

The Lord’s Covenant Promise to Abram

Some time later, the Lord spoke to Abram in a vision and said to him, “Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you, and your reward will be great.”
But Abram replied, “O Sovereign Lord, what good are all your blessings when I don’t even have a son? Since you’ve given me no children, Eliezer of Damascus, a servant in my household, will inherit all my wealth. You have given me no descendants of my own, so one of my servants will be my heir.”
Then the Lord said to him, “No, your servant will not be your heir, for you will have a son of your own who will be your heir.” Then the Lord took Abram outside and said to him, “Look up into the sky and count the stars if you can. That’s how many descendants you will have!”
And Abram believed the Lord, and the Lord counted him as righteous because of his faith.
Then the Lord told him, “I am the Lord who brought you out of Ur of the Chaldeans to give you this land as your possession.  8 But Abram replied, "O Sovereign Lord, how can I be sure that I will actually possess it?" 



1. Position yourself to hear from God:

- I sat on my couch, a couple of lights on so I wouldn't fall asleep, my Bible, pen, notebook, and highlighter.  I was ready to hear whatever God wanted to show me. 

2. Pore over the passage and paraphrase the major points:

- God spoke to Abram," Do not be afraid, Abram, for I will protect you and your reward will be great."
- Abram complained about what he didn't have - a son.
- God showed him the sky and told him his heirs would be as many as the stars.
- Abram believed God and God counted him righteous because of his faith.
- God then told Abram why He brought them out of the other land - to give him this new land.
- Abram said, "How can I be sure that I will actually possess it?"

a) God told Abram not to fear
b) Abram complained about what he didn't have
c) God showed him what he will have
d) Abram believed
e) God called Abram righteous
f) God gave Abram more
g) Abram doubted

3. Pull out the spiritual principles:

i) Do not be afraid.  God will:  Protect me
                                 I will: Have a great reward
ii) When Abram complained about what he didn't have, God showed him what he will have
iii) Abram believed and God counted him righteous because of his faith
iv) God showed Abram land - God gave him more
v) Abram doubted

** I act without fear > God protects me > I have a great reward
     - this starts with me choosing to obey

** Abram doubted.  He couldn't see the bigger picture.  God reassured him, like a Father does, and Abram believed.  God counted him righteous because of his faith.

** Only seconds later, God showed Abram more of what is his, and Abram doubted, again, even though he was just counted as righteous because of his faith.

** Even righteous people doubt.

** Abram doubted and God gave him more. 

4. Pose the question:

- Is my fear actually me not believing that God will protect me?
- Do I believe that God will protect me? Or, am I doubting God's protection?
- What is God asking me to do that I'm afraid to do?

5. Plan obedience and pin down the date:  

- I may share the plan sometimes, today is not one of them.

6. Pray (I added this one):

You are Sovereign.  You reign forever.  You knew I'd be sitting here right now while You were talking to Abram thousands of years ago.  Thank You for putting this story in the Bible and pointing me to it this morning.
I repent of my unbelief that You will protect me.  You have protected me every single day thus far - why would I think that now is any different?  Your protection extends and is greater than anything man can do to me.  
Protect me as I begin to act without fear.  Remind me in situations that I am am afraid that YOU ARE WITH ME AND PROTECTING ME.  You are Jehovah-Sabaoth - the Lord my Protector.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment